Written by Nick –
Summer is finally here and the 4th of July is right around the corner. Whether you’re packing a sandwich to watch the fireworks or making the most of the summertime sun, it’s the perfect time to have a picnic. So pack up your cooler or basket, grab a blanket and head outside.
If you’re going to be venturing outdoors there are a few things you’ll need to remember:
- don’t forget a blanket to sit on and a blanket to lie under in case it’s cold
- if you’re planning to use a picnic table consider a tablecloth – the birds can do some damage to a shaded picnic table
- you’ll want to pick the right meal – anything can get messy when you’re eating on a blanket in a park
- don’t forget the napkins – as I mentioned it can get messy if you’re not prepared.
This Summer Solstice I was lucky enough to make the most of the long daylight and have an evening picnic which turned out to be quite the romantic date.
I made these Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Pesto Mayo as wraps. The Buitoni pesto has a ton of flavor and creates a delicious sandwich or wrap. For picnic purposes, I decided to make these sandwiches as wraps (pictured below) and I used sun-dried tomatoes instead of juicy ripe ones. Don’t forget drinks and a side! This Limoncello Basil Cooler recipe is a refreshing cocktail for the summertime and the Apple-Infused Coleslaw in a Jar is a perfectly packable salad.
Ingredients for 8 Servings:
- 1 container (7 ounces) BUITONI Refrigerated All Natural Pesto with Basil, divided
- 8 (about 2 1/2 pounds total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 8 ciabatta bread or French rolls, split horizontally
- 8 thin slices provolone or other Italian cheese
PREHEAT grill or broiler.
SPREAD 3 tablespoons pesto over chicken breasts. Place remaining pesto and mayonnaise in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Spoon into squeeze bottle or covered container and keep chilled until ready for use.
GRILL or broil chicken for 5 minutes over medium heat; turn over. Grill or broil for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
SPREAD pesto mayo over bread; top with chicken and cheese. Add lettuce, sliced tomato and sliced red onion, if desired.
Apple-Infused Coleslaw in a Jar
Limoncello Basil Cooler