Written by Chris –
You won’t need much beyond flour, sugar, butter and eggs. Plus, there’s no chilling. No rolling out the dough. No cutting into shapes. Simply form the dough into balls, swirl in sparkling sugar and bake.
Ovaltine offers a unique flavor in these cookies. They’re very mild, almost like milk chocolate; you get sweet hints of chocolate malt with melt-in-your mouth sugar cookie goodness. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family!
Ingredients for 40 cookies:
- Bright white sparkling sugar (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup OVALTINE Rich Chocolate or Chocolate Malt Mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Place sparkling sugar in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
BEAT granulated sugar, Ovaltine and butter in large mixer bowl until combined. Beat in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
SCOOP by rounded teaspoon and roll into balls. Drop a few balls at a time into sparkling sugar and swirl bowl to coat. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets and flatten slightly.
BAKE for 10 minutes or until firm around edges. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
If you are considering shipping cookies to loved ones this holiday season, here are a few tips:
- Be sure to choose drier, crispier cookies like these Ovaltine Sugar Cookies since they will stay fresh longer. Sugar cookies, shortbread cookies and biscotti are good choices for shipping.
- Individually wrap each cookie in plastic wrap or wrap two cookies back to back. Then pack them snugly in an airtight container.
- Once the cookies are secured in the air-tight container, pack in a second, outer gift box.
- Be sure to use a sturdy corrugated box designed to ship in. And go a little bigger than what you think you will need.
- Use packing material such as foam peanuts, bubble wrap or crumbled newspaper on the bottom of the box; add the box of cookies (I like to wrap the gift box in bubble wrap). Then fill the box completely with more packing material. Be sure to have at least two inches of packing material on all sides of the package.
- Seal the box with packing tape, address it, and ship it out. And don’t wait too long! After you bake the cookies, allow to cool. Then pack them up and ship the same day.