Written by Chris –
Election Day calls for comfort food, don’t you think? I’m not sure about you, but I know I will be following all of the election coverage. I find this Pumpkin Sage Pasta to be incredibly comforting. Perhaps it’s the clingy sauce… Or how the pumpkin and sage meld together… Or maybe it’s the Gruyère cheese… This is what I know for certain; one party will be in need of comforting this evening.
Do you add pumpkin to your savory recipes? A little pumpkin goes a long way to making your favorite dishes tastier and more nutritious. It adds extra flavor, fiber and Vitamin A, while cutting down on fat and sodium.
On those busy school nights, I often add pumpkin to my tomato sauce (works great in homemade and store-bought). The pumpkin adds a little extra body to the sauce, which I love! All you need to do is stir in 3/4 to 1 cup LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin into 3 cups (about 26 oz.) of your favorite pasta sauce.
If you are ready for a change of pace, might I suggest you give this Pumpkin Sage Pasta a try? It’s a bit more elegant and the flavors are a little more distinctive. I think you might just love it! This recipe works best with short cut pasta such as trottole, spirals, penne or bow tie; the sauce really clings to it! And it’s ready in 30 minutes! Garnish with fresh sage leaves for an extra flavor dimension and eye-catching appeal.
You can check out the recipe video here and see just how easy it is to put together.
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 6 cups cooked, short-cut pasta, such as trottole, spirals, penne or bow ties, kept warm
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 8 fresh sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon (season with a little sea salt if you want to go vegetarian)
- 1 can (12.5 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 1 cup LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons grated Gruyère cheese
- Ground black pepper to taste
MELT butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sage leaves; cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook for 2 minutes or until reduced slightly. Stir in water and bouillon; cook for 2 to 3 minutes to infuse flavors. With tongs, remove and discard sage leaves.
STIR evaporated milk and pumpkin into skillet; heat through. Stir in Parmesan cheese and Gruyère cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta to skillet; stir to coat and heat through. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh sage leaves, if desired.
- Pumpkin Sage Pasta
- MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese
|Baked Ziti with
Pumpkin & Sausage