Written by Chris –
If you are getting together with friends and family for Independence Day, make a statement with a red, white and blue dessert. This freshly baked skillet cookie or “skookie” couldn’t be easier! Toppings are customizable but I love to go classic with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. For a little red and blue, add fresh strawberries and/or raspberries and blueberries.
We recently shot a recipe video for this Skookie in our Nestlé kitchens. Take a look! At the end of the shoot, this Skookie was gone within minutes!
Ingredients for 16 servings:
- 10-inch cast iron skillet
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- Vanilla DREYER’S or EDY’S SLOW CHURNED Light Ice Cream or Vanilla HÄAGEN-DAZS Ice Cream
- Fresh sliced strawberries and blueberries (optional)
- NESTLÉ® NESQUIK® Chocolate Flavor Syrup (optional)
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
COMBINE flour, salt and baking soda in medium bowl; stir.
BEAT butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Press into cast iron skillet.
BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown throughout as shown above.
COOL for 10 minutes (if you can wait that long!); serve topped with your favorite ice cream. For my kids, that means Dreyer’s Slow Churned Cookie Dough, as shown above. Sprinkle with berries; drizzle with Nesquik.
Other red, white and blue recipes:
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE®
Stars and Stripes Cookies