Recipe Contest: Enter your favorite pie recipe starting today, May 19! (Go to bottom of post for contest details – and the big prize.)
Bite-size or family-size, savory or sweet, the humble pie is the current darling of the culinary world. That’s right cupcake, step aside. This all-American favorite is reclaiming its glory and growing in popularity.
A classic comfort food, pie is one of the most versatile dishes around, making it easy to enjoy morning, noon or night. From pot pies and breakfast pies, to whoopie pies and ice cream pies, there’s a pie to please every palate.
Here are a few tips to transform the everyday pie:
- Go Guilt-Free. No longer just an indulgent treat, pies can be made more nutritious with simple better-for-you swaps. For a boost of fiber, substitute regular pie crust with a whole-grain crust.
- No time for homemade? No problem. Many supermarkets offer pre-made whole-grain pie crusts, which can be a big time-saver in the kitchen. And for recipes that call for 2% milk, try using fat free evaporated milk instead. You’ll enjoy the rich, creamy flavor you crave, plus two times the calcium and protein.
Kid’s Cheeseburger Pie
Plantain Picadillo Pie
- Make Dinnertime Pie Time. Experiment with savory combinations to create unexpected dinnertime fare, shown above. A delicious recipe that satisfies cheeseburger cravings without the grill is a simple Kid’s Cheeseburger Pie. Or check out this recent recipe from Ani for Plantain Picadillo Pie. Yes, there are plantains in this savory pie!
- Create Single-Serve Sensations. Who wouldn’t love their own personal sized pie? Perfect for entertaining or gift-giving, pie in a jar is a fun twist guests will be raving about. I just loved this post by Cheryl over at TidyMom.com! Check out her Pie In a Jar recipe here.
- Refresh With No-Bake Pies. Give the oven a rest and beat the heat with no-bake pies. Perfect for birthdays, anniversaries and outdoor gatherings, ice cream pies can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer until ready to serve. This recipe for Malted Ice Cream Pie is my warm weather favorite with a special twist — a waffle cone crust! My kids go crazy over this every time!
(serves 12, shown at top)
- 1 ½ to 2 cups finely crushed or ground waffle or sugar cones (about 12 cones total; waffle cones will yield 2 cups, sugar 1 ½ cups)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 container (1.5 quarts) Vanilla DREYER’S or EDY’S SLOW CHURNED Light Ice Cream
- 1 ¼ cups OVALTINE Classic Malt Mix, divided
- 2 tablespoons lowfat milk
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen light whipped topping, thawed (optional)
- Chopped malt balls (optional)
COMBINE crushed cones, honey and butter in large bowl; stir until evenly coated. Pour into 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Press mixture onto bottom and up side of plate. Freeze for 30 minutes.
REMOVE ice cream from freezer to soften for several minutes. Place ice cream and 1 cup Ovaltine in large mixer bowl; beat until combined. Spoon into prepared crust. Place in freezer while making topping. For topping, combine milk and remaining ¼ cup Ovaltine in large bowl; stir in whipped topping. Spoon over pie. Freeze for 5 hours or until firm.
SPRINKLE with chopped malt balls. Cut into 12 wedges (crust will be crumbly but oh so good!).
Cooks Tip: OVALTINE Chocolate Malt, OVALTINE Rich Chocolate and NESTLÉ NESQUIK Chocolate Flavor Powder taste great in the pie, too. We tested them all!
To Enter Contest, Visit:
- Create a sweet or savory pie recipe using a participating Nestlé brand or product. Submit the name of your recipe, step-by-step instructions and a photo of your creation and you could win $1,000!
- FIRST PRIZE: One (1) First Prize winner will receive $1,000 in the form of a gift card (from a credit card company). Winner and winning recipe will be posted on facebook.com/NestleKitchens and on Meals.com.
- SECOND PRIZE: One (1) Second Prize winner will receive a Nestlé gift basket filled with various Nestlé products.
- THIRD PRIZE: One (1) Third Prize winner will receive a Nestlé gift basket filled with various Nestlé products.
- Contest open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, 18 years or older. Limit one entry per person, per valid email address, per day.
- Starts May 19, 2011 @ 9:00 am (PST)
- Ends June 30, 2011 @ 11:59 pm (PST)
Top 10 Finalists – Judging Period:
- Starts July 5, 2011 @ 9:00 am (PST)
- Ends July 19, 2011 @ 11:59 pm (PST)
- Winners notified on or about July 26, 2011
I hope you all enter and I wish you luck!
- Malted Ice Cream Pie with Waffle Cone Crust
- Kid’s Cheeseburger Pie
- Plantain Picadillo Pie
- Join Dreyer’s email list for offers
- Get an Ovaltine coupon
Related pie recipes:
Rich and Zesty Tamale Pie
Cherry Berry Cheesecake Pie