Much like a kitchen is the heart of the home, the same goes for the baking test kitchen in our building. Besides folks peeking in for an afternoon (or morning) pick me up, they come in to see what holiday or season we are working on! For some projects, we work far ahead of the actual holiday. While creating this Easter recipe for Hippity Hoppity Bunny Cookies early this year, those stopping by had a variety of comments:
- “Oh my gosh, those are so cute!”
- “Working on Easter recipes already? The holidays just passed, I am still recuperating from them and it is snowing outside!”
- “When is Easter anyway?”
- “Are the bodies really chocolate chip cookies?”
- “Love it, love it, love it!”
- “You have the best job…” (I would agree!)
But more than these comments, the smiles and laughter these cute bunnies generated in our kitchen told me this recipe was going to bring smiles, giggles and happy times to your kitchen! I just had to share this recipe with you.
Here are a few tips on how easy they are:
- This recipe makes eight bunnies by baking up a half package or 12 squares of NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated Chocolate Chip Cookie dough. Cool the cookies completely on a wire rack then cut each cookie in half for a total of 24 halves. Each bunny will need three cookie halves. If you would like to make a group of 16 bunnies, then bake the whole package of 24 squares.
- The frosting used to “glue” the three cookie halves together and for the back of each bunny can be tinted just one color or divide up the frosting in small bowls to be tinted with multiple colors. I know my niece would opt for orange or lime green, my nephew brown and my daughter whatever color she likes that day!
- We opted to put each bunny on their own little plate to be easier for the little hands that might be preparing them but certainly these can be placed on a larger platter for a family bunny scene. Each bunny can be adhered to the plate or platter with a little bit of frosting.
- The little bunny noses are jelly beans! WONKA® SPREE® OR WONKA® SweeTARTS® Jelly Beans come in a variety of fun flavors and springtime colors. Other NESTLÉ Easter Candies such as NESTLÉ® NestEggs or WONKA® SweeTARTS® Bunnies can be used to decorate (hard part here will not be eating too much while preparing).
- Cupcake liners flattened out were used to make the ears. There are always a few of those left in the cupboard.
- Dissolving the food coloring in a little bit of water makes for an even coat of color on the coconut.
Now I wonder if my niece or nephew will want orange or brown coconut grass… I can hear them giggling already. I have the biggest smile on my face now and I know you will too once you make these.
Another favorite Easter treat are these Coconut Orange Macaroons, shown above, that look like little nests…so take your pick!
- Hippity Hoppity Bunny Cookies
- Coconut Orange Macaroons
- Get a Toll House coupon
- Get a Wonka Easter candy or Nestlé NestEgg coupon
Related Easter recipes:
Chipper Chick Cookies
Crisped Rice Easter Egg Treats