Written by Jenny
In honor of National Ice Cream Day on Sunday, July 18th, it seemed appropriate to write a little bit about ice cream. What is more refreshing than ice cream on a really hot summer day? Well, some of us might say, what is refreshing any day…ice cream!
Some history about this day: in 1984 President Ronald Reagan proclaimed July to be National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday in July, National Ice Cream Day. He also recommended the occasion to be celebrated with “appropriate ceremonies and activities.” Why not celebrate National Ice Cream month with this cupcake cone recipe? Definitely seems “appropriate” to me, and the perfect reason for kids and adults to gather at the house after dinner.
The cakes in the cones can be baked a little earlier in the day (they are best when served the same day as they are prepared). A variety of Dreyer’s or Edy’s ice creams and different toppings can be set out so everyone can make their own. And, don’t forget the Nestlé Toll House Toppers! This is a new product that we have been working with – and very much enjoying – in the kitchen. These Semi-Sweet or Premier White Mini Morsels come in a resealable container ready to use or shake at any time. They are the perfect size to be sprinkled on ice cream, on top of cakes and into pancake batter.
Some tips on preparing the cones:
- I recommend getting an additional box of the flat bottomed cones. Although they are packed well, some in the box may be broken.
- Baking the batter-filled cones in the cups of muffin pans helps in keeping them upright when placing and removing from the oven.
Who knows ….maybe you will get requests for this ice cream celebration all summer long!
Ingredients for 30 cones:
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 30 flat bottomed ice cream cones (buy extra in case some are broken)
- DREYER’S or EDY’S® SLOW CHURNED® Light Ice Cream, any flavor
- Whipped cream
- Variety of ice cream toppings
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet or Premier White Mini Morsel Toppers
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
PREPARE cake mix batter according to package directions. Spoon 2 tablespoons cake batter into each cone. Place cones in the cups of muffin pans.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cakes comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
TOP cones with scoops of ice cream and toppings. Sprinkle with Toppers. Serve immediately. The cones are best served the same day that they are prepared.
TIP: For variety, top cupcake cones with prepared frosting and sprinkle with Toppers.
Related ice cream recipes:
Ice Cream Cookie Cup Delights
Mini Morsel Ice Cream Pie