No New Year’s resolution list is complete without a nod to eating more healthfully. However, one thing I vow is to not feel guilty for enjoying my meals!
Here are my best delicious tips for eating right with great taste:
- Make smart substitutions—such as using lowfat dairy products in recipes. Since I drink lowfat milk, I use lowfat evaporated milk to cook with instead of my drinking milk. Lowfat evaporated milk is richer yet has the same amount of fat. So it adds wonderful creamy goodness to so many of my recipes without adding extra fat.
- Use big-flavor ingredients such as fresh or dried herbs and spices for a bold flavor profile in any dish.
- Add nutrient-dense ingredients, such as pumpkin, in dishes you already prepare. Stir into soups, stews and pasta sauces, or try a super-flavored, soothing, nutritious latte for a snack.
Start right now to make smart and delicious choices by checking out more delectable recipes and ideas!
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 1 box (6 oz.) long grain and wild rice mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (about 8 oz. total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 2 cups (8 oz.) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cups (1 medium) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 3/4 cups chicken broth, (two 14 1/2-oz. cans)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) * NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Green onions, and toasted slivered almonds (optional)
HEAT vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink.
ADD rice, broth, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine small amount of evaporated milk and cornstarch in small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to saucepan with remaining evaporated milk and wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until soup is thickened. Garnish with green onions and almonds.
* NOTE: For a lower-fat version of this recipe, substitute NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Lowfat Milk for Evaporated Milk.
COMBINE coffee, evaporated milk, pumpkin, sugar and pumpkin pie spice in 2-cup microwave-safe glass measure or small saucepan. Heat until very hot (if using stove, use medium-low heat and stir occasionally). Carefully pour into mugs.
TIP: To make a foamy top to your latte much like your favorite coffee house creation, prepare as above. Carefully transfer hot mixture into blender container; cover with lid and then hold down lid with folded towel or potholder. Blend for 1 minute.