Written by Liz -
When summer rolls around, there is one dessert I really crave — ice cream. I love to make ice cream in all it forms: ice milk, frozen yogurt, sorbet, granita, etc. And when I need a dessert to please a group, ice cream pie is one of the easiest ways to turn this iconic summer treat into a dessert for all.
This ice cream pie recipe features a homemade crust and homemade whipped topping, sandwiching one of Dreyer’s & Edy’s new summer Slow Churned flavors: Caramel Coconut Cookie Ice Cream. And homemade pie crust is actually pretty easy. To make the crust, just blend together graham crackers, coconut flakes, coconut oil and butter (see full recipe below).
And just think of the twists you can make on this pie crust recipe! Here are some ideas:
- Instead of chocolate graham crackers, use honey or cinnamon graham crackers or any of your favorite crunchy cookies (ginger snaps, thin mints, milanos, etc.)
- Instead of coconut flakes, use powdered caramel creamer or coffee mix, finely chopped ginger or any citrus zest.
And in the topping, I can think of many fun ingredients:
- Add softened cream cheese to give it a frosting taste
- Add a dash of any kind of flavored schnapps, maple syrup or almond flavoring
- Use chocolate sauce or fresh fruit instead of caramel.
The possibilities are limitless when you think of all the ice cream flavors available! And don’t forget you can make just about any ice cream flavor you want. I’m looking forward to these additional summer flavors from Dreyer’s/Edy’s:
- 3 Stripes You’re Out (Grand only) – vanilla ice cream with mixed berry and strawberry swirls
- Sunny Salted Caramel Pretzel (Grand and Slow Churned) – vanilla ice cream with a salted caramel swirl and pretzel pieces
- German Chocolate Cake Spectacular (Grand and Slow Churned) – chocolate ice cream with a caramel coconut swirl and brownie pieces
- Take the Cake (Slow Churned only) – yellow cake-flavored light ice cream with a frosting swirl and multi-colored sprinkles
I don’t know about you, but I can think of a different ice cream pie I can make each week of summer! It’s definitely going to be a good one at my house.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 9 large chocolate graham cracker rectangles, broken into rough pieces
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 container (1.5 quarts) DREYER’S or EDY’S SLOW CHURNED Limited Edition Caramel Coconut Cookie Light Ice Cream, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
PREHEAT oven to 325° F.
PLACE graham crackers, coconut and sugar in food processor or blender; cover. Honey grahams are shown above.
Process for 30 seconds or until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Place crumbs in medium bowl; stir in melted coconut oil and butter. Stir until crumbs are moistened. Press crumbs evenly onto bottom and up side of 9-inch glass pie plate.
BAKE for 20 to 22 minutes or until crust is set. Cool crust completely on a wire rack.
SPREAD softened ice cream into pie crust. Cover; freeze for 6 hours or until ice cream is completely firm, as shown above.
PLACE cream and sugar in chilled medium mixing bowl. Beat just until stiff peaks form. Evenly spread whipped cream over ice cream. Sprinkle with toasted coconut; drizzle with caramel topping (above shows chocolate sauce). Cut into slices; serve immediately.
|Frozen Vanilla Peanut Butter Pie||Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream Pie|