Written by Natalie -
I got this very cool request from the La Lechera team to create two cheesecakes for the brand. I haven’t made too many cheesecakes in my career, mostly because I had this irrational fear of springform pans. And I thought they HAD to be made in springform pans. Well, it turns out they don’t. And it also turns out, springform pans aren’t that scary at all.
Since I was given free rein on flavors I really contemplated what went well with LA LECHERA® Fat-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk (other than eating it straight out of the can with a spoon) and LA LECHERA® Dulce de Leche (same issue as with the condensed milk). There were many answers of course, but what I liked the best was a No-Bake Mango Dulce de Leche Cheesecake and Banana Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars. Both turned out delicious. And let me tell you, I am a lover of cheesecake making now! What I love about the mango one is that it is no bake and beautiful with its layers of graham, mango cream, mango gelatin and then fresh mangos – and yet it’s not too mango-ey. This would be fantastic at an end-of-summer dinner party. I credit this cheesecake with curing me of my fear of springforms.
The Banana Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars will become a crowd favorite. The banana adds additional creaminess and seems like it was meant to be paired with sweetened condensed milk and dulce de leche. Maybe I’ll swap out using a spoon to eat straight from the can with a banana. Yeah, it’s like that.
Some tips from my many go-rounds developing these cheesecakes:
For the No-Bake Mango Dulce de Leche Cheesecake:
- In order to make it no-bake you need to use gelatin for it to set. Gelatin clumps very easily. So be sure you use boiling hot water and stir vigorously (VIGOROUSLY!) until it is completely dissolved. Then use it immediately.
For the Banana Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars:
- Make sure you use completely ripe bananas. We’re talking black bananas here. It really enhances the flavor and the creaminess factor I mentioned above.
Ingredients for 12 servings:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ LA LECHERA® FAT FREE Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ LA LECHERA® Dulce de Leche
- 1 package (8 ounces) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 envelopes (7 grams each) unflavored gelatin, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups mango puree (from about 3 mangos, or frozen, thawed mango chunks)
GREASE 9-inch springform pan.
COMBINE graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
BEAT sweetened condensed milk, dulce de leche and cream cheese in large mixer bowl until smooth. Vigorously mix 1 envelope gelatin and ¼ cup boiling water in small bowl with a fork until gelatin is completely dissolved (about 3-4 minutes). Immediately beat into cream cheese mixture with hand held electric mixer until combined. Pour over crust; gently smooth top. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
MIX vigorously the remaining envelope gelatin with remaining 2 tablespoons boiling water in small bowl with a fork until gelatin is completely dissolved (about 3-4 minutes). Immediately blend into mango puree with hand held electric mixer until combined. Pour over set cheesecake; gently smooth top. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
SERVE with sliced mangoes on top, if desired.
|Swirled Peanut Butter
Chocolate Cheesecake Bars