Written by Liz -
This past Valentine’s Day, we decided to have a chili cook-off. It seemed like a much better idea for this romance holiday on a cold winter night, especially with our particular relationship statuses; “it’s complicated” seems to be most popular in our group’s social media circles.
This White Chicken Chili recipe was my submission. I love it for its creaminess, the spicy cumin taste (I actually added a bit more cumin than in the recipe) and the boost of greens with the Spinach. I also added a little cheese on top, and some folks also topped theirs with raw onions and sour cream. Wine pairing note: this soup goes great with Chardonnay.
I’m not sure if my chili won the cook-off, but it was the first pot to be emptied! It took the chill out of a cold night and it warmed our bellies and our hearts. And it’s not complicated.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups mild salsa verde
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup loose-pack frozen corn
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- Baked tortilla chips and light sour cream for serving (optional)
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook on each side until golden. Transfer chicken to plate; cover.
ADD onion to same saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in cumin and coriander; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in salsa verde, cannellini beans, pinto beans, water and corn. Cook for about 10 minutes or until hot.
CUT or shred chicken into bite-size pieces and add to saucepan along with any accumulated juices on plate. Stir in evaporated milk and spinach; cook for a few minutes just until heated through and spinach is slightly wilted. Serve topped with crumbled tortilla chips and dollop of sour cream.
More chili recipes:
Pumpkin Chili Mexicana
Chili with Three Beans